Competition these days is fiercer than ever. Whomever can interrupt (or disrupt) the most wins. What can you do? Here I will share why local search matters to your small business and provide some tips to help you.
Face the Facts:
- “50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day, and 34% who searched on computer/tablet did the same” – Google
- Almost 2/3rds of those in the US own a smartphone – Pew Research Center
- By 2020 70% of the world’s population will use smartphones – Ericsson Mobility Report
- Currently, according to Search Engine Watch, 59% of consumers use Google to find a local business.
The trends are undeniable. Local search is here to stay. This is why local search matters to your small business. The question is will your business be found?
The most cost effective way to maximize your online presence is to have:
- a keyword rich website (not stuffing extra words, but making it natural)
- frequently updated online information… I recommend using your website and a couple of social media sites to achieve this
The search engines number one thing they want to do is help searchers find relevant information. They also desire sites to be mobile friendly. Having a responsive website is one way of doing that.
What does responsive website mean?
A responsive website means that it resizes itself on different browsers and on different devices.
- Research your keywords – use a tool like Google’s keyword tool to find out what is being searched for if you need help. Figure out what the most appropriate words are for your business. If you are a chiropractor in Easley, SC, then your keywords include: your business name and chiropractor Easley SC.
- Optimize your website – this means use your keywords in logical places on your website. Be sure to including your keywords in your page and post titles, meta title and description. Do include your city and state. Make sure your contact info is all over your site (footer and on its own page)
- Google Business Listing – claim it! Google is making it easier more than ever these days to promote your local listing. Be sure to fill it all the way out as well.
- Other Local Listings – don’t forget the other local listing sites like Bing and Yahoo. There are also local directories for your market. Make sure you are listed. Be sure to go through the steps on Getlisted.org too.
- Reviews – ask for genuine reviews. Give your customers easy options. There are many places for reviews including Facebook and Google+.
- Social Profiles – There are many sites where you can have a social presence including Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn. Pick 2-3 where your target market hangs out and use them!
- Monitor results – do track your results. I look at stats monthly. Ask yourself where can things improve. Here is a list of some of the tracking available for free: Google Analytics, Google Performance Report, Google Webmaster Tools, and Facebook Insights.
If all of this seems overwhelming then you might need some help! Don’t just stick your head in the sand to worry about it another day. We at Assured Results Online are here to help… whether a little or a lot. Let’s get you started with your free Business Scan today!